WhatsApp also has a special program for using the popular chat service via the computer. It is available for both Windows and Mac.
WhatsApp is a popular app for smartphones. The app makes it possible to send text messages and photos via an internet connection. You can compare it with SMS. Only you do not pay per message, but communication runs through the internet. For a long time people could only use WhatsApp via a smartphone. Since 2015, the service can also be used via the computer. First only via a website. Read more about this in the article ‘Use WhatsApp on the computer ‘. However, it is now also possible to put the chat service app on the computer. This gives access to chat messages even faster.
Smartphone on hand
Both when using the website and the app on the computer, a smartphone with the WhatsApp app remains necessary. You even have to keep this handy. However, WhatsApp can be useful on the computer, because typing and reading is easier. On the desktop version you can see all chats and messages that are also on the phone.
Download on Windows
Download the WhatsApp Desktop program from the WhatsApp website.
- Open the browser and surf to whatsapp.com
- Click on Download.
- Click Download for Windows (64-bit) or 32-bit version. This depends on which version of Windows you have.
- Click Run .
- The program starts automatically. Is that not the case? Then click on the Start button> WhatsApp.
Download on Mac
Download the WhatsApp Desktop program from the App Store (Mac).
- Open the App Store program. You can find the program on the Dock below, or via Finder > Programs > App Store.
- In the search window, click Search , type “WhatsApp” and press the Enter key.
- Click on ‘ Download ‘ under ‘WhatsApp Desktop’.
- Click Install app.
- If required, log in with your Apple ID.
- The program will be installed. As soon as the ‘Open’ button is displayed, the program can be found on the computer. To do this, click on Finder > Programs > WhatsApp.
To use the opened WhatsApp Desktop, log in using your telephone.
- A window with a QR code appears on the screen .
- Pick up the phone and open the WhatsApp app.
- For phones with Android, tap the three dots> WhatsApp Web > OK, understood .
- For phones with iOS, tap Settings > WhatsApp Web / Desktop > Scan QR code at the bottom .
- Hold the phone’s camera in front of the code on the computer screen.
A connection is established and you can access your WhatsApp messages on the computer. As soon as the computer or telephone loses a connection to the internet, you must reconnect via the QR code.
Once you are logged in, get started with the desktop version of WhatsApp. On the left side of the window is an overview of all chats. By clicking on one of these chats, all related messages appear on the right.
To send a message
Sending messages via WhatsApp Desktop works almost the same as via the mobile app.
- At the top, click the plus sign (Windows) or the square icon with pencil (Mac).
- A list of contacts opens. Tap the contact that you want to send a message.
- The chat screen opens.
- Type a message and press the Enter key to send the message.
Send photo or video
Send a photo or video easily while chatting. In the steps below we already assume that a chat window is open.
- Click on the paper clip icon.
- Click on the purple circle (‘Photos and videos’) to share existing images.
- Navigate to the correct photo or video through the open window and click Open(Windows) or Open (Mac).
- Optionally type a caption and then click on the green circle .
The image material is sent.
Save photo or video to computer
The photos and videos that you receive via Whatsapp can be saved directly to the computer.
- If you want to save an image, right click on the image in the chat window.
- Click Save Image As.
- Choose the location where you want to save the image and click Save.
- If you want to save a video, left click on the video. This opens and plays.
- Click in the top right on the icon of an arrow pointing downwards in the direction of a thin line.
- At the bottom of the screen you can now determine the location where you want to save the video.
- Click Save.
Send voice message
You can send a voice message via the microphone icon (bottom right of the screen).
- Click on the microphone icon.
- Leave a message.
- Click on the green circle if you are satisfied with the message. Do you not want to send this message? Then click on the red cross.
We assume that you only install WhatsApp Desktop on a computer that you do not share with others. Someone who opens the program can also view your chats. If you want to prevent this, always unsubscribe after use.
- Click in the left part of the window on the three dots (Windows) or on the down arrow icon (Mac).
- Click Log out.
Next time you must log in again using the QR code.