Explore the whole world from the comfort of your home. This is possible on Android devices with the Google Earth app.
World in the pocket
Google Earth is a virtual globe. Google ensures that the whole world is within reach for everyone. With many different maps, 3D images, millions of photos and information about the locations. This can be viewed via the computer, but also via an app for smartphone and tablet.
Download Google Earth
The Google Earth app is free to download in the Play Store.
- Tap Play Store.
- Type “Google Earth” and press the magnifying glass icon on the keyboard.
- Under “Google Earth”, tap Install.
- Tap Open.
Open the app
Normally open Google Earth as follows:
- Tap Apps or swipe from top to bottom to view all apps.
- If necessary, swipe to the next page and then tap Earth.
- The app shows the new possibilities. Tap the blue circle with the arrow to view all options. Start right away? At the top right, tap Skip.
The whole world is within reach with Google Earth. Find a place that you want to view and look it up.
- Tap the magnifying glass icon at the top of the screen.
- Type the name of the place to look up and tap the magnifying glass on the keyboard.
- Google Earth goes to the spot. To zoom in, place two fingers on the screen and move the fingers apart. Move the fingers together to zoom out.
Google has provided thousands of places on the globe with extra information. There is a good chance that you have already encountered such a Knowledge Card when searching for a location. If extra information about the location is available, a photo is shown at the bottom of the screen: a so-called Knowledge Map. Tap to find out more about the area. Then tap the top left arrow to return to Earth view.
Google Earth initially always displays the 2D version of a map. However, many places can also be viewed in 3D. To do this, tap 3D on the bottom left.
Then tilt and turn the map by moving the screen with two fingers at the same time.
Streetview is a well-known possibility of Google Apps. This handy feature is also built into Google Earth. With this you no longer view the world from above, but actually seem to be standing in a street. Tap the puppet icon at the bottom left. Then tap the map. Leave Streetview again by tapping the arrow on the top left.
View own location
Even though all possible places in the world can be viewed, people still want to visit their own street. This can of course be done in the above way, but there is also a handy option to look up the current location. In addition to quickly looking up your house, this option can also offer a solution to look up more information about a location during a vacation, for example.
- Tap the three dots icon at the top of the screen.
- Tap My Location.
- Tap Allow the first time to allow the app to access the device’s location. Then repeat the first two steps.
- Google Earth is going to the right place. The blue dot indicates your location.
Have you already had any conceivable places? Then use the ‘I am guessing’ function and Google will send you to any destination. To do this, tap the dice icon at the top of the screen. Google shows a special place in the world, including a Knowledge card to find out more about the location shown. An authentic way to choose the next holiday destination.
The Voyager option gives guided tours of special places in the world. Within the categories travel, nature, culture, sports, history and education, new tours are offered every week.
- Tap a rudder icon at the top of the screen.
- Tap a category.
- Swipe from bottom to top to view all tours. The tour was made by third parties such as NASA Earth Observatory and BBC Earth.
- Tap a tour.
- If necessary, tap a blue button. The text on the button can change, but often something like Start exploring or Explore.
At the top of the screen is a map with different locations marked. At the bottom of the screen is the name of the location with more information. Tap the blue arrow at the bottom right of the screen to go to the next location.